17.4.06

Puppy Love



Well the other week while doing my regular trip to the farmer's market Chris dragged me away from the tomato stand saying," Come quick! I have something to show you."
Here I am thinking this has got to be good, and I wasn't disappointed. He brought me over to a very small booth that was completely covered in everything that you would ever need for your dog or kitty.

There were toys, beds, sofas, dozens of different kinds of chews and even the odd clothing piece. But the reason for Chris' excitement were the homemade puppy cookies that had the ingredient list printed on the packaging. You see I have been tossing around the idea of making my own treats for Henry for a long time but didn't really know were to start. Yes there were loads of websites with treat recipes but I didn't really feel comfortable trying them. So we bought a package of Cheddar and Garlic cookies that I thought I could backward engineer to get the recipe. I also knew that Henry LOVES garlic.

Off I went to the kitchen with our new found motivation and this is what I came up with.

Henry's Puppy Love Cookies

2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup Oats
2 Eggs
1/4 cup Skim Milk powder
1 Cup Finely grated old Cheddar Cheese
1 clove Minced Garlic
1/2 cup Water
1/4 cup Butter

Pre heat oven to 375 degrees
Beat butter and eggs together until frothy
Add Skim Milk Powder, cheese and garlic
In a separate bowl combine flour and oats and make a well
Slowly add egg mixture to flour mixture and blend together, add water to thin if necessary.
When it forms a nice tight ball, divide and roll on a lightly floured board until 1/4 inch thick
With a Small cookie cutter cut out shapes and place on a ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8 -10 mins pull them out and flip the cookies to bake the other side for an additional 5 mins or until lightly browned.
Cool on a rack and store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.

No comments: